Create and deploy a LIMS-SAP interface that utilized the SAP QM-IDI to create lots, upload quality data and usage decisions, and synchronize lot information between multiple LIMS instances and a single instance.
The client had two sites with a single LIMS instance and a single SAP instance.
- Reduce lot creation / sampling time
- Improve lot turn-around time
- Reduce logging errors
- Single system record for quality data (LIMS)
- Eliminate dual entry of usage decision
- Standardization of business processes
Fundamental to many laboratory informatics implementations is the integration and interoperability between LIMS and other key business applications such as SAP. Often the data generated by the laboratory is only one part of the overall enterprise operation. Various external groups may use the data provided by the laboratory. Consideration must be given to regulatory issues, audit management and the refinement of business processes.
LabAnswer was selected to provide the complex integration of a LIMS-SAP interface. LabAnswer determined that multiple LIMS instances connected to a single SAP instance would require multiple SAP plants to segregate inspection lots. Existing LIMS-SAP interfaces would require creation of a new work center in SAP to segregate inspection lots between the old LIMS and Labware LIMS.
The solution needed to be flexible to suit the business processes of pharmaceuticals, consumer, vaccines, and bio-pharma locations.
- The solution must allow for multiple sites within a single LIMS instance
- Download / create LIMS lots from SAP inspection lots
- Automatically log / create samples in LIMS after inspection lot download
- Upload inspection lot results from LIMS to SAP
- Upload usage decision from LIMS to SAP
LabAnswer created and deployed a LIMS-SAP interface that utilized the SAP QM-IDI to create lots, upload quality data and usage decisions, and synchronize lot information between multiple LIMS instances and a single SAP instance. The design was scalable to allow a staged deployment and configurable to allow the integration of additional SAP plants, workcenters and additional LIMS instances.
This integration and interoperability enhances the overall efficiency of the laboratory and the entire enterprise. Functional benefits include
- Manual lot creation no longer required – expedite lot and sample logging
- Interface improves standardization in business processes
- Critical lot information is communicated from SAP to LIMS in a timely manner
- All quality information for lot maintained in LIMS